You Don't Have to Burn Out

You Don't Have to Burn Out

As I write this, I sit in a coffee shop far from home doing a bit of work. The previous few months have been filled with an insane amount of stuff to do as I’m in the midst of a huge life transition:

• a new addition to the family coming
  • started a new job
  • transitioned the Guild to Effective Remote Work
  • buying and selling a house

I finally feel on the downslope of things, but the time leading up to now has not been easy. The whole ride has been a rollercoaster of stress and joy, but the saving grace is having an end in sight.

Much like my current situation, there are seasons of life for many of us where we just have to push through. Our plates may be full, our stress may be high, but there’s a defined endpoint and we’re not going to make it unless we give it everything we’ve got.

For me, that’s been preparing for a baby to come, but for you, maybe that’s kickstarting a new business, training for a 10k, or preparing to give a talk.

Seasons where we need to push through to a breakthrough are workable because there’s an end date. However, I sometimes make the mistake that these seasons should be normal and regular. Unfortunately, you can make anything normal by believing it should be.

However, breakthrough seasons are not normal, nor are they sustainable.

If we remain in a breakthrough mindset, we will eventually end up burnt out.

Burnout is now so common that it is a recognized “disease”.

Thankfully, you don’t have to go pedal-to-the-metal all the time.

You can avoid burnout.

You can live a fulfilled life without overwhelming yourself constantly.

The answer is margin.

Shawn Blanc and Isaac Smith released The Margin Course this week. I had an opportunity to preview the materials early, and I’m so thrilled with how applicable this is for myself. I think you’d get a lot out of it, too.

Here’s a few thing I’ve learned:

• Beliefs lead to action, so to change your action, change your belief
  • Margin is a mindset, which means you can choose to think about it differently than you do now.
  • Margin requires a proactive approach and needs to be defined by your values.
  • Healthy margin in one area leads to healthy margin in other areas (i.e. financial margin gives more relational margin by diminishing stress or time margin by being able to pay for things like a lawn service)

This course has impacted me so much that I’m making it a focus for the remainder of the year. Once I finish up this crazy breakthrough season, I’ll start a topic in our #journals category for Pro members to track my personal margin goals. Maybe you’ll join me!

Get The Margin Course (affiliate)

1 Like