What’s Lost as Handwriting Fades

This is an older article but it struck me because my wife and I plan to homeschool our girls. Being the tech nerd in our house, it naturally falls to me to decide how much tech to use in schooling and when.

The general argument is that we don’t want our kids to be behind in learning how to use technology. But that’s unfounded. I consider myself well above average in knowing how to use computers and I didn’t get into them seriously until late high school and college. They’ll be fine if they wait a little bit.

From the article:

Children not only learn to read more quickly when they first learn to write by hand, but they also remain better able to generate ideas and retain information. In other words, it’s not just what we write that matters — but how.

The difference between learning via analog methods and digital methods seems to be a hot topic among researchers lately. And when they make claims like this, I can see why. Maybe my ridiculous habits of writing by hand have some merit.

Dr. Berninger goes so far as to suggest that cursive writing may train self-control ability in a way that other modes of writing do not, and some researchers argue that it may even be a path to treating dyslexia.

This is only semi-relevant, but I have to process out my internal world (emotionally, mentally, etc.) on paper. The physical act of writing helps me release stress and tension I tend to carry if I don’t otherwise. Digital journaling does not have the same effect on me.

1 Like

This reminded me of an article about taking notes by handwriting vs. taking notes digitally.

1 Like

So true. I tried the journaling thing digitally but never understood it. When I switched to paper it clicked. And it has become a nightly stress reliever more than anything.