Teaching over Giving

I had a short rant on Twitter the other day about how I’m tired of productivity solutions that try to solve my problems.

I’m not here to rag on anyone else’s approach or model; they’re all mostly fine and dandy. But the key I’m thinking of is rooted in the old proverb:

Give a man a fish, and he’ll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he’ll eat for a lifetime.

Sometimes it feels like there’s a lot of giving fish going on in the self-help world. And maybe, more honestly, there’s a lot of asking for fish, too! I know I’m guilty of that. I want the quick solution.

However, the best solution has always come from patience, learning the principles, and applying them for myself.

This is all to say my aim with Effective Remote Work is to teach the principles and ideas. I might share my system, but I know it won’t work for you exactly how I do it. But if you can glean something useful from me and repurpose it for yourself — awesome! I want to teach you to fish instead of just give you fish.

Thanks for being on this journey with me, and if there’s any way I can help you, I’d love to hear from you.

Releases

[Process] The Curse of Immediacy - This week, Justin discusses how a mindset of instant gratification does not help you to be effective. Instead, he shares two insights to build better long-term thinking: iteration and process.

[YouTube] Hybrid Productivity System with Notion - August 2020 Tour - Notion is the perfect tool to complement any Bullet Journal in building a productivity system. In this video, Justin gives a tour of his Notion setup and how he uses the tool alongside the Bullet Journal for an effective analog/digital hybrid productivity system.

Resources

It Doesn’t Have to Be Crazy at Work - I read this book by Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson a while back about how to create a calm company. Even if you’re not a business owner, this book is filled with mindsets you can apply as an employee to improve the culture around yourself at work.

That’s all for this week!

For archives, visit our community.