Space Cadet reporting for duty!

Tell us who you are and what you do.

I’m just a guy in the middle of the ocean making Life happen… I work in the retail sector on a little island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. It’s interesting where life takes a person. I’m naturally a lazy person and needed a wife, kids, and a productivity workflow to kick my butt into gear.

WilsonVBall

How did you first get into the productivity world?

I fell into it accidentally. I had a MacBook Pro when I was younger and it had a pre-installed copy of OmniOutliner. Project and task management started from there. I fell in love with Now Up-To-Date/Contact which became Now X. Now X died a merciful death. Started with GTD and OmniFocus 1 at the same time. I hopped on and fell of the bandwagon numerous times. Trying to do GTD and a new software package (OmniFocus) all at one time was just crazy.

How did you find the Guild?

I was loitering in the Omni Group OmniFocus forums for a long time. I would post frequently there. But I found myself starting to repost many of the same ideas that I’ve discovered along the way. I saw Joe Buhlig starting up this forum and started to post my ideas here. It was easier for me to discuss and explore productivity outside of OmniFocus.

What’s one thing you’ve learned that has impacted you most?

Build my productivity workflow slowly. Don’t pile it on and try to adopt a new workflow quickly. It takes time to build up. Work on one aspect until I’m comfortable with it. Then add another building block on top of it. Eventually, you’ll have different working parts that all work together in one nice well-oiled machine.

Productivity workflow looks complex with so many moving parts. Building it up slowly allows me to eventually create the system that works for me today.

When I no longer need a workflow, I put it away. My life changes and I add a new workflow when I need to.

I’m happy to be here. We’re all in this journey together. I’m still learning about productivity myself. Joining the Pro Guild is an awesome way for us to get together and explore different topics and challenges that are facing us. By posting questions (big or small), we can learn from each other.

Currently, I’m exploring tasks and managing time. It’ll be interesting where the conversation heads!

I’m also a big fan of experimenting. Don’t try multiple experiments at one time! Try a new workflow one at a time. Adjust it to your workflow. Test again. Then either keep it or toss it. There have been many wonderful blog posts that I’ve read but the experiment didn’t work out for me. Some experiments will be shelved and tested again later when I feel ready to revisit it. Other experiments just won’t work for me and gets canned.

My favorite quote:

2 Likes