Separating personal/work on devices

I‘m torn at the moment how to best set up my devices, especially my iPhone. I currently have an Xr, with my work and personal SIM in there. Work did give me a Samsung S7, but I did‘t get on with it at all, so used the Xr (we have a BYOD policy, luckily)…plus, hated having two phones in my pocket.

What are your experiences with dual SIM Setups, and the merging of personal/pro devices? I like the device simplicity, but sometimes want to just be able to look at my phone out of work without having to be reminded of work, or accidentally opening outlook.

Thanks for any insights!

I’m not qualified to talk about dual SIM setups because I’ve never been in a situation that requires dual SIMs. I don’t know how I would deal with a dual-SIM life.

But I do segregate my personal and works apps on my iPad and iPhone. Work Life and Personal Life starts blurring in all areas. My iPhone has different Home screens. I keep the first Home screen full of work apps and stay there when I’m in work mode.

My second Home screen that has neutrals apps such as weather, health & fitness, and Day One.

My third Home screen holds all of my personal apps and social media apps. These personal apps are also stashed away inside folders. This makes it more cumbersome to go to these apps. I’ll avoid my third home screen apps because it’s cumbersome to swipe to go to the third screen and then open a folder to open an app.

Perhaps you can put the Outlook app on the first home screen (work) and go to that screen only when working?

I’ve started using Apple Mail for my personal email accounts and Spark for my work email. Spark is on the first Home screen (Work) and Apple Mail goes to the third Home screen (Personal).

Then turn off notifications for all email except for the VIP people.

I’ve also done this three screen setup with my iPad as well. Go to the first Home screen while working and then go to the third home screen when I’m playing.

I have separate iPhones for work and home. I use the same apple ID so Apps and data can sync if I choose to let it.
I keep work calls, emails text Messages etc only on the work phone.
I need for my own sanity only personal life stuff permanently on my own phone, but I can get work email via a web access in 1Password and I can always install omnifocus (for work projects) temporarily and delete it of when done.
For me I really like the plug and play nature of being able to switch on and off data streams as and when I want to.

I personally don’t segregate work and personal apps unless I absolutely have to (i.e. security requirements). Thankfully I don’t have a work SIM, but that means I can’t speak to that.

I used to separate devices, and while that was nice at times, I found it to be a big pain. Need to travel? Bring two phones, two laptops, two sets of devices. That was frustrating.

This definitely was a benefit of having a work and personal iPhone! Also, welcome @AJXN!

Instead, I’ve been trying to segregate my contexts, particularly the levels of connection I need.

• Working - I’m fully on, IM open, emails flowing. Focus is work.
  • Available - Usually from my phone with access to Discourse, IMs, but not necessarily my main focus. Likely if I’m in the doctor’s office waiting room or something like that.
  • Unavailable - Usually my phone’s somewhere else, Apple Watch on my wrist :wink: but I’m not going to break away unless it’s absolutely urgent.
  • Unplugged - No interruptions allowed. I’m focused on something other than technology at all.

Having started to focus on these differences has helped immensely in figuring out what to have where. My main focus apps are all on my main computers. I rarely have email on my phone, but I have Discourse and IM software as that’s more urgent.

One thing to note though: almost no software gets push notifications. This keeps me further in control of my habits.

3 Likes

Thanks everybody for your replies. I‘ve decided to keep the amount of devices minimal, and just use them for all my tasks (work and personal stuff). It‘s just too practical being able to use the devices for both…and it helps that I really enjoy my job, and don‘t dread work (and therefore don‘t get any bad connotations with devices I use for work). Have put my work apps on the second page of my iPhone/iPad screens, so it doesn‘t always blare at me first thing.

1 Like