Refactor Your System

Refactoring is a programming term which means to take a piece of code and rewrite it in a better way. Applications are built iteratively in this way. You start with something that just works, then slowly chip away at it to make it better. Sometimes you refactor a lot right away. Sometimes it takes a long time.

Productivity systems are a lot like code. You have inputs (stuff that comes at you) and outputs (the work you do), and the system helps you get from in to out.

The best way to improve your productivity system is to iterate. I’ve tried so many times to have it all figured out and perfect up front. This approach has failed every single time. Instead, I’ve found it better to start small and build from there.

Are you stuck anywhere with your system this week? If so, ask yourself — what can I do to improve this in a little way right now? Many small improvements over time will lead to a better result over a big change all at once.

Releases

[Process] 63: Rethinking OmniFocus Structure — Justin settles on using OmniFocus on iPad only, and shares his thoughts on restructuring it to use a single list with tags.

[YouTube] How I Write Permanent Notes in Obsidian — Note-taking methodologies like Zettelkasten and Evergreen Notes focus on writing permanent notes from other kinds of notes. The question for you might be: how do I write a permanent note? This week, Justin reveals his simple process for doing so.

Resources

Empathy Online — Key Takeaway: Compassion in communication goes a long way.

161 Ways to Practice Self-Care While Working from Home — Key Takeaway: It’s quite a full list of things you can do to take care of yourself at home.

That’s all for this week!

For archives, visit our community.