Process Episode 003: Check-In #1

Originally published at: https://productivityguild.com/2019/process-episode-003-check-in-1/

Subscribe Description This is our first check-in episode. Justin is making progress on his goals, hasn’t really figured out what he wants to do with Evernote, and doesn’t really seem to use his task manager. Transcript 00:00 I think it’s time for a check-in. So what these check-in episodes are going to be about are…

I wonder if there is an app that specifically focuses on Scrum? I’ve not tried Scrum myself but it sounds like an interesting experiment.

I’ve been wondering about this myself. For now, I have DevonThink for my reference information database and Agenda for my actual notes when I’m referring to notes I take in meetings.

I referred to this as ignoring all the little voices in my head that wonders if there is something else out there to take me away from the work that is currently sitting in front of me.

I have to plan the day before about the work I want to do on the next day. Then I hopefully try to stick to that plan while having enough buffer room to handle any fires that come in throughout the day. That means scheduling in time for daily happenings while reserving a portion of the day to deep work. I think Cal Newport (or perhaps someone else?) said that we probably only get 2-3 hours of real work in. Everything else is maintenance work.

I hear you on this one. I’m part of a family business and it means I can screw off and binge on Netflix if I desired. But it doesn’t move the needle. I need to make sure I get enough solid work in before I can goof off. And it’s easy to goof off when I’m the boss (or at least when my wife lets me be my own boss :wink:).

I think it’s nice to have some separation of different parts of our lives. Stuff that resides in Jira will most likely be your contract work. Stuff that resides in OmniFocus is most likely personal stuff or the non-contract work. Each database is a checklist that separates the different areas of focus. Maybe it’s a good thing to have it separated? I don’t want to see my grocery list and Netflix watchlist mixed in with my contract work.

That’s what I’m afraid of. When I keep OmniFocus open, I’ll always worry that a task that is on-screen and visible to me will distract me. That’s why I like to plan the next day ahead. At the end of the day, I look at OmniFocus and select a few due tasks and some flagged tasks. Then I write them in my Bullet Journal. That becomes my game plan for tomorrow. I don’t get the urge to return back to my task manager and start looking for other things. I feel more confident having a gameplan or strategy of what i want the day to look like. I don’t choose more than 3-5 tasks because I know I’ll have all the other things thrown at me (wife’s Honey Do list, the kids activities, or customer requests) to keep me busy. But I’ll squeeze in the 3-5 tasks from my Bullet Journal and get to work on those.

When I finish the tasks I wrote in the Bullet Journal, I can return back to OmniFocus or check the e-mail inbox to see if any emergency tasks may have arrived.

I think it’s more about trying to get through the backlog of task manager tasks a bite at a time. Remember? Work in shorter term chunks and focus on some things on a smaller scale… yeah, that’s one place to start.

Great podcast!

1 Like