Password Manager Suggestion

BYE BYE LASTPASS!

This post sings the death warrant of that buggy non responsive interface which infuriates me and is at the moment a bottleneck in my work flow.

I’m running MacOS and somewhat I inherited from Lastpass from my Windows days a few years ago.

What do you guys use ?

Here is what I would be looking for in password manager:

• Flawless iOS / MacOS support
  • Encryption of Password
  • Ease of uses. Must be really fast to select a password for the website and not overwriting fields with values.
  • A Windows Support would be appreciated at least for seeking a password when I’m using a Windows PC, it is good to be able to do pretty much anything on it.

I do mainly use Safari but also Chrome.

If you have any suggestion that would work for me or share your experience with it.
Cheers

3 Likes

I feel 1Password (https://1password.com) is the best with real good encryption and (a very slight learning curve following which its easy to use) and its cross platform. Dashlane is good too, but I prefer 1 password as it is known to be one of the best encrypted closed source password managers. If you want Open Source you have KeePass and BitWarden. But IMO 1Password is the best.

2 Likes

+1 for 1Password. Not cheap, but solid and I can use it anywhere.

3 Likes

Yep gonna +1 1Password! Been paying for it for years on a family account — it’s been rock solid, great cross-platform support (even Linux is now in beta).

Thank you for the suggestions.
And just to be clear you all suggest 1Password while being on Mac (Aka with iCloud password support?)

1 Like

I for sure do recommend 1Password while using Mac. iCloud password support is very limited. I love how you can do multifactor auth in 1Password as well (vs. using Google Authenticator or Authy).

1password is what I use. I’ve also heard good things about DashLane

1 Like

Bitwarden, any time.

1 Like

I’ve heard good things about Bitwarden @Funisher – especially since it’s OSS and you can self host it. What draws you to Bitwarden vs. other options?

Here’s an article that was published earlier this month about password managers

1 Like

I still use keepass… it works so well for me still on my mac but not so much anymore on my phone. I will be looking for something new and always prefer open source, so am curious about bitwarden.

2 Likes

You already mentioned two big ones with open source and self hosting. So if you want to, you don’t have to trust your password data to be safe in the cloud, if you want to.
Additionally, I have experienced that it really works cross-platform well. MacOS, Linux, Windows, different browser addons… It’s really usable.
If you want to (I don’t) you can even include TOTP.
Oh yeah, and another one… no subscription necessary for the functionality most users will need.

1 Like

I switched from Keepass to Bitwarden. I was quite happy with it and still use it for some things, but usability on the phone is limited…

2 Likes

Cool. Thanks! I will check it out. Pity about the lack of phone support. Already with keepass I am only able to access passwords on the phone that I manage on my PC, and not edit/change them on the phone.

1 Like