OmniFocus 3 vs ClickUp

So perhaps opposed to most, I’m a real world business owner (restaurant) pushing the boundaries of tech in my industry… (very much a geek as well)

I’m new here, so sorry if this repeats, and I realize that what platform you choose is super personal, but…

I’m currently evaluating OmniFocus 3 (all three platforms) and using ClickUp (a fairly new in the game platform)

Love some things on both, what perhaps is anyones best STRATEGY in evaluating these things?

Use one exclusively for 30 days then switch? Try them side by side?

Any feedback is great, and thanks…

Chef Tony

1 Like

Well I doubt your far from alone in being a real world business owner here but anyway.

Before I test anything I always try to work out what I really need from it, not what I would like but what core functions does it have to be able to fulfil without friction. Then move on to other considerations, such as other features, looks, platform etc. That way you can probably save a lot of testing and time beforehand.

For me, having tried most task managers I come back to Omnifocus, I would like (very) basic collaboration features but not enough to consider switching.

1 Like

" Before I test anything I always try to work out what I really need from it, not what I would like but what core functions does it have to be able to fulfil without friction."

From experience (I’ve been trying out task-management apps since more or less they were invented for the Mac, at least), I can only underline the importance of what TheOD has written above.

Write down the task-management functions that you really want and need, and only afterwards look at the choices of applications on offer. Then evaluate the choices against your feature “must-have” list.

An example: for many years a number of task-management apps lacked start or “defer” dates, but didn’t shout about it. Only a few (including OmniFocus) had them, but also didn’t always shout about it. Reading forums like this one, it was obvious that a number of users of the apps that lacked them fudged how they used them in order to make up for the lack - or complained loudly about it. In fact, it became obvious that some task-management apps were quite unsuitable for the uses that some users wanted to put them to, whilst other users were perfectly happy with them. If users tended to work on “quick-turnaround” tasks, they tended not to require start or defer dates and in fact sometimes found them an unnecessary complexity; others like me, whose tasks can run for days, were pretty much lost without them.

So to an extent not necessarily immediately obvious, the right task-management app for you depends not just on, say, its dark-mode functionality or similar qualities, but fundamentally on the type of work that you do and how you do it. And when it comes to task-management apps, there remain some often quite surprising differences that aren’t necessarily immediately evident but which can make some of them much more suitable than others for your style of working. So - as TheOD says - list, test and evaluate.

1 Like

Welcome @cheftony :smiley:

There are so many good task management apps out there that it’s really hard to go wrong with any of them.

My advice:

• To echo @TheOldDesigner and @Hugh1, decide on features that matter to you.
  • Play around with a few apps with these features to see if they make sense to you.
  • Of the ones that make sense, pick one to use. Use it until you find a major constraint that you can’t work around.

We also had a podcast episode on this topic, too!

Hope this helps!

As a trial run, I’d start with a small handful of projects - perhaps four to five? Don’t try to stress test and put everything in at once.

If you need collaborative work, perhaps ClickUp would be better suited for you and your team. But that also depends on whether you can get your teammates to also buy in on using ClickUp. Personally, I’d just e-mail them a task with as much descriptive instructions (why are we doing this and what the end results should hopefully look like). It’s up to the other person to figure it out from there. If they don’t have their own productivity game up and running, there are probably other issues at work.

It’s not necessarily the tool but it’s the workflow that will make most productivity systems click. If you don’t have a set routine (capturing new items, organizing the new items into projects and checklists, and executing on the tasks in your projects and lists, reviewing and curating the projects and lists) then any app would fall apart.

Apps are basically list managers. They can present your tasks.to you in different ways (look at tasks that are due, look at projects, look at all my errands or office tasks, look at all administrative tasks only). It’s up to you to figure out when to use them.

I also agree with the above replies.

I’d start with a couple of projects first. Don’t put everything in just yet.

If you need collaborative, ClckUp looks like the better choice.

OmniGroup support has been excellent from what I’ve experienced.

1 Like