What have a settled on.
stares off into the void
I’ve been around the block on this.
I’ve tried to go all-in on Ulysses.
I’ve tried to go all-in on Bear.
Some things just didn’t feel right. Especially documents about things like my kids’ healthcare.
Also, I’ve been pursuing the idea of building a Zettlekasten to help with my job of teaching, writing articles, and writing for my blog.
Two things helped to move me along.
First, Devonthink 3 came along, offering more power and a much improved UI. My brain used to recoil in terror when I opened DTPO. But I don’t feel the same resistance from DT3.
Second, finding out about the PARA system that Tiago Forte teaches. He has a course, but I haven’t taken it but it’s priced well beyond what I’m willing to pay for productivity advice. What I’ve taken from it is a fairly useful system for organizing notes and reference.
I’ve spent the last few weeks pulling all of my reference/paperless/etc… files into the PARA system I have setup in DEVONThink.
I’ve been bouncing back and forth between Bear and plain text using 1writer/The Archive. Bear is great, but also can feel a bit like a toy, making it feel wrong for long term, serious work. Maybe it’s the aesthetic?
I think I’m going to settle on plain text because I can then index in Devonthink and I can open the folder of plain text files in Ulysses. That keeps the zettelkasten portable, available to work with it in apps that are better suited to it, but also makes them searchable and accessible in both of the other apps that I use.
The plain text format also makes it less likely that I’ll junk up the zettelkasten with a bunch of random web clippings that never get processed.
I love Ulysses, but it’s been a thorn in my side as anything in there is walled off from my larger system. If I was a serious person I would use IA Writer in place of Ulysses for writing. But I like Ulysses enough that I might allow this bottleneck to continue. I keep thinking about seeing what would happen if Ulysses files in dropbox were indexed by Devonthink, but I haven’t gotten around to trying it. If it works, I might consider moving all of my Ulysses content out of the native iCloud storage and into dropbox folders.
I also set Ulysses up in the PARA system, adding a couple extra top level folders that I felt were necessary.
I am getting there, but still one or two things to work out.