Moving away from legacy connectors and into the future

I’ve watched the Mac tech space with curious fascination. So many bloggers were pushing back at the new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar when it was first introduced in 2017. A big complaint was the lack of legacy ports (USB3, Firewire, PC Card slot, memory card slot, MagSafe power cable). I’ve seen some hardware companies promoting their Windows notebooks as having support for legacy ports for USB3.

I’ve started to look past the perceived blogger backlash. I’ve noticed that I’ve rarely connected a USB hard drive. I’ve slowly phased out my old Firewire 800 hard drives. I’ve started investing in NAS (Network Attached Storage) devices for my local storage needs. I’m connected to Google Drive, Box.com, and Dropbox for sharing. I rarely use a USB memory stick nowadays. I can scan and print wirelessly to my multifunction printer. I never have to use any physical cables.

I didn’t understand the blogger backlash about dongles. Some bloggers tried to portray a scenario where we need a huge bag of dongles and cable to connect our legacy devices when we’re on the road or at our desk.

I think I cleared any worries about dongle hell by getting a USB-C dock that has HDMI, a memory card slot, 3 USB3 ports, and passthrough for power. It’s become my “just-in-case” device if I need it.This is the only thing I pack together with the power adapter and the usual cables. I didn’t experience the dongle hell that some bloggers imagined. This USB-C dock is a nice bridge device to connect any legacy devices that I have left. So far, I think I’ve used it three times in the last year.

It seems like everything is going to the cloud now and we rely less on cables and physical attachments. I’m not as connected to legacy devices as I thought I would be.

So I’ve been kicking and screaming into the future and I’m finally letting go of my old USB3 and Firewire cables. I hope your transition into the future of technology will be a little easier. It hurts to lose a financial investment in old hard drives. I’m OK with it now. I’ve been upgrading my local hard drives with larger capacities and faster speeds via USB-C. I’ve zeroed my old hard drives and passed them on to other people who might need them.

Is there still any reason for you to keep your old legacy devices? I remembered using 5-1/4" floppy disks, the Iomega Zip drives, and SCSI devices. I don’t miss them anymore because there will always be new technology that will make USB3 obsolete. Bye-bye to the past and hello to the future.

- @wilsonng

Items of note:

1. One question can help you achieve your goals - David Allen, GTD
    David Allen talks about how he didn’t wait for the perfect conditions to start on his goals. Just get going and you’ll course-correct along the way. You create version 1.0 now. Then you can work on version 1.1 in a few weeks.

2. Why Efficiency Apps are Destroying Your Efficiency, and What to Do About It - Medium
    Yes, we’re all guilty of looking for apps that will make us an “efficiency superhero.” Define what is necessary and what is unproductive will help us focus on what is really important.

3. If You Want To Be More Productive, Lose Track Of Time - Success
    It’s a wonderful feeling when you’re in the zone and you are humming along on a project. You suddenly lose track of time and just keep going and going.

4. Compartmentalising with Notebooks - The Finer Point
    Jenny Mason shows us a way to use different journals for different purposes. I used to be a one notebook kind of person. But this setup helps me to change mindsets when I’m switching from one notebook to another.

5. Why You-Can’t Learn To Succeed From Successful People - The Possibility Bar
    Instead of learning how to be great from successful people, it’s time to look within to create your own success.

Quote of the week:

This has been my goal when I choose my news podcasts and RSS feeds. Is it just entertainment or can I really get something out of each news source?

Tools worth your time:

I held off on using Agenda because it was available only on the Mac. Now that it is available for iOS, I’m considering to take the plunge into this app.

This looks like an interesting take on task management and might fit some users who are frustrated with OmniFocus, Things, 2Do, Todoist, and other task managers.

Challenge for the week:

Have you started streamlining your news feeds lately? I’ve started to eliminate most of my news podcasts.

There’s only so many ways that the news can be presented. News podcasts can be detrimental. It has information that talks about today’s events. But we won’t remember what happened today because it becomes yesterday’s news tomorrow. Read a book or listen to an audiobook instead. Today’s news has an expiration date. A good book will resonate with you forever.