Let's Talk Business

This week on Whims, I talk about the recent changes I’m making to my web development business and the difficulties of dealing with a desire to feel legitimate.

What I’m reading

Peak by Anders Ericsson
This is the latest book I’m reading for Bookworm. It might be a bit of overlap from some previous books we’ve read but it’s been interesting nonetheless.

Podcasts
BW - 47: The Three Big Questions for a Frantic Family by Patrick Lencioni
Should you think about your family in the same way you think about an organization? And what are the ramifications of the answer to that question?

WTW - 26: Now Somehow an Employer
Joe transcends the typical mailbox and gets a UPS box of his own. This leads to a conversation about home offices, which leads to a conversation about wanting to appear legitimate, which leads to an unexpected conversation about learning how to take on new roles.

Books added to the list

The Revenge of Analog by David Sax
I heard about this one on the Hurry Slowly podcast and it sounded really interesting. But maybe that’s due to my latest obsession with analog tools and understanding my own fascination with old-school tools. Who knows?

The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction by Alan Jacobs
I was trying to place where I ran across this and failed. But since I just mentioned the analog tool obsession, it should be of no surprise that I’m looking into this one as well.

Interesting Productivity Guild topics

Capture OmniFocus Tasks on Windows with AutoHotKey
This covers one of the most common questions surrounding OmniFocus: how do I capture OmniFocus tasks quickly on a PC?

Developing good productivity habits will improve your task manager’s capabilities
I’m quite impressed with this article by Wilson Ng on the habits required to make your task manager work. It doesn’t matter if it’s a notebook, Reminders, or OmniFocus, the habits are what make it work.

[Pro Members] Using Todoist: Labels and Filters
Justin takes us deep into the organization methods available to Todoist users. And more specifically, this is about the options available in Todoist that are rare among other task managers.

[Pro Members] A Living Experiment

Articles of Interest

Compartmentalising with Notebooks — The Finer Point

TaskPaper actions for Drafts 5 - All this

Experiments

Discourse as a notes app - Loving this. It’s a thing now. I’m actually writing this newsletter in my personal Discourse instance. It’s here to stay. And if you want to play with it in the same way I use it, you can check out a demo here.

RSS Feeds - I’ve been a user of Feedly for a long time. Basically, when Google shut down their service, Feedly filled in and quickly. I’ve never explored anything outside of them as a result. It’s always served my purposes. But lately, I’ve started playing with Unread. It still uses Feedly on the back-end, but the UI is superior in my view. So we’ll see how this goes in the future.

If you’d like these in your email, you can either subscribe here on the Guild or via my website.

2 Likes