Introduction from Australia

Introduction from Australia

Hey all :slight_smile:

Tell us who you are and what you do.

I work in a contact centre here in Perth, Australia. I’m in a management role with 6 teams of about 15 per team so pretty busy and with the amount if change going on, quite frenetic! That said, me and my colleague refer to it as our “happy place”. Its a great place to work.

How did you first get into the productivity world?

This was years ago and I’m not actually sure of the “how” apart from maybe a manager suggesting I find 15 mins every morning to plan my day (good advice!). I ended up creating my own “hipster” PDA on 8x5 cards which I really enjoyed doing. I then got a Quo Vadis diary (week to an opening, based on Covey’s “First Things First”), again, read that book cover to cover, loved it. Then discovered David Allen’s GTD webpage and I was hooked.

How did you find the Guild?

Pretty sure it was from MacPowerUsers. Some great and insightful people there (and here) that I learn from.

What’s one thing you’ve learned that has impacted you most?

“Stick to the basics”! Whenever I deviate I get messed up, sigh and revert back to what I know. The times I have literally picked up my work and brought it home, both digital and analogue, and sat in my lounge room sorting through stuff and filing to get back on top of things is both sad and empowering. Sad because I have to do it but empowering when I realise I’m more on top of things than it seemed.

Okay, that’s probably enough from me. Thanks for the community. I usually just lurk but have decided to be a contributor where I can, partly to help others and also to learn from others.

3 Likes

My favorite statement. When I feel I’ve made my system too complicated, I return back to the basics and reboot with BuJo. Then I can figure out what routines to add back to just enough to keep me working.

1 Like

Welcome @billwallace! I used to work as an IT support desk manager for a call center type setup. I get the busyness you probably experience! I’m so glad you have found it a positive place to work though. Those can be hard to come by, especially in the call center world.

So true. It’s extremely easy to deviate from the basics and overcomplicate matters. Sometimes that’s why I think people nuke and pave their systems so often…

You’re welcome, and I’m really glad to have you here contributing. That’s the whole point of our community – help one another in our productivity process.