Instead of meditation, maybe I should try reflective thinking?

For the life of me, I still can’t quite get to this mythical place in the clouds where I can consistently meditate. I’m supposed to achieve Nirvana where the world opens its door to me and I see Elvis Presley off in the distant horizon?

I think I might just try a different approach and look at reflective thinking to help me open doors short of some great hallucinogens that would make the Beatles, Jim Morrison, and Bob Marley proud. :clown_face:

So I have to ask “what do you achieve when you meditate?”

I’m giving this a try! I can see where this really helps out and I know I need something along these lines. That list of questions looks intimidating but well worth the struggle.

But I think this serves something very different than meditation. Caveat: I’ve never been a consistent nor successful meditator. But my perception is that meditation serves to build the skill of focus in all situations. Whereas this article has more to do with long-term direction.

This is a cool idea.

For me, meditation gives me a gap or window between the stimulus and the response. That’s what I go for. I’d enjoy focus but that’s not the main draw for me.

2 Likes

ahh… that makes sense… like being Joe Montana cool under a heavy blitz…

I was wondering if meditation just meant blanking out my mind [and all the other voices in my head :wink: ] and achieving some type of Zen or moment of realization when the world’s greatest idea pops into my head. Maybe I’ve been watching one too many kung fu movies?

I guess for now, reflective thinking will be something I’m gonna explore. Meditation will come to me eventually.

With my daughter, I need those gaps. She resorts to violence from time to time, and I take the brunt of that. I don’t like that, and my natural inclination is to hit back. Can’t do that with a ten-year-old so I picked up meditation. It’s been great for that.

The meditation I do is all about focusing on your breathing or some other specific thing. I use the app Calm but have used Headspace in the past. Both have a variety of meditations, but I use the breath one the most. It’s like lifting weights at the gym, doing it one day doesn’t make you able to lift a car. Doing it time and time again can get you to at least try to lift a car. It’s why it’s called a practice.

2 Likes