I don't know how I landed on this site but I just paid for Pro

I don't know how I landed on this site but I just paid for Pro

Tell us who you are and what you do.

My name is Paul, and I’m in IT. I live outside of Seattle and I work for a giant global company that gets a significant portion of my paycheck back each month.

How did you first get into the productivity world?

I have a long history of diving into productivity and then abandoning systems and diving back in again. I read GTD ages ago, and love the concepts but have had a hard time putting the concepts into practice in the past.

How did you find the Guild?

I’m tackling a couple of big projects as well the normal tasks that come with a fairly demanding role, and working with a coach. She tasked me with finding a task management system this week, and one blog post led to another and somewhere down that rabbit trail I ended up here. I’ve decided to commit to OmniFocus at least for the duration of these projects, and then once those are finished I can keep going or evaluate whether something else might work better.

What’s one thing you’ve learned that has impacted you most?

I think it was a quote from a character in a Tom Clancy book, “If I didn’t write it down, it didn’t happen.” Not so much a lesson but something that resonated with me, and is driving my current quest for productivity and managing all of the things I write down…

4 Likes

Welcome to the Guild!

Oh man, that’s the story of my life. Hopping into and out of productivity systems was my downfall. I didn’t realize until much later that I could take parts of different productivity systems to make my own.

David Allen has said it takes up to two years to adopt GTD practices. I’ve viewed my productivity system now as a series of habits that I routinely perform to maintain my system. It took a long time until it became habit. I have a third grader and I sometimes have to remind her to brush her teeth. I’m sure it’ll be awhile but she’ll eventually learn to automatically do it as part of her daily shutdown routine.

Yeah, I’d try a task manager for a couple of projects at first instead of trying to make it work for every other areas of my life.

I hope you’ll find time to bring some new observations to the Guild when you encounter them. There have been many times where I wasn’t ready for a certain productivity workflow until I found a challenge that needed a workflow or system to take care of it.

Welcome @paulfank! What kind of IT do you do? I spent nearly a decade of my career in the business IT world.

This seems to be a very normal thing for people engaged in this area of thinking. Sometimes I think the major productivity systems can be so counterintuitive to the ways we actually need to work.

I’m glad you found us! We’re here to help out on the journey, so hit us with whatever questions you have. None of us have it all figured out here, but together we can help piece ideas together!

Thanks! I’m looking forward to participating.

I think that’s where I tripped up before with GTD, and maybe that’s me making it more complicated than it already is.

One of the hangups specifically has been around the idea of next actions — do I just put in the immediate next action? Does the next next action go in when I complete the first next action? Or not until review? Do I capture all of the next actions I can think of during the review? I know the goal is to not be thinking about what to do next and just do what’s next. And maybe some of this has been clarified since the last time I attempted to tackle GTD a while ago. Having a coach this time around will help a lot in this area, I think, as will the expertise of the Guild.

1 Like

Thanks, Justin!

I do end user support for our employees. I’m a Mac SME, and while I do some direct user support, I also manage our support relationship with Apple, escalating issues directly to Apple engineering and to our internal engineering teams for our 70,000 Mac users in nearly every time zone. It’s daunting, but also a lot of fun.

I hit reply too soon…

I look forward to this aspect of the site. Being able to bounce things off of others as I go will, I hope, go a long way toward my success with adopting a system that works for me. Like I said, I don’t remember how I ended up on the site, but I’m really glad I did!