How do task manager users do their review?

I’m curious. I’ve stuck with OmniFocus because the Review perspective is something that I cherish.

I’m guessing that a task manager (Things, 2Do, Todoist. Trello) user would just review one Area a day or have a repeating task to review Project X, Project Y, and Project Z every 2 weeks?

I’m sure there must be other ways to review. I’ve gotten away from the Weekly Review that was promoted by David Allen’s GTD. I just can’t sit down for 2 hours at the end of the week to do the weekly review. I prefer the daily review where I review some projects on a more frequent interval and other projects at a longer cycle.

But I will do an end of month review to review the previous 30 days and then plan for the next 30 days.

I might be able to review work projects every 3 days, personal projects once every 10 days, and certain checklists every other day.

What do you do? Or do you even review?

I try to do an in-depth review for an hour on Fridays.

I just scan through everything manually. Even when I’m using Omnifocus I find that to be the best way to do it. When I’m using the review perspective i find myself not being as thorough, not doing the real tweaking and maintenance that need to be done. Just hitting the button to get the pellet.

In the mornings I quickly scan through things to make sure I am am working on what needs to be done that day, but I try not to make changes or get bogged down in infrastructure issues.

Same with my notes app(s).

I don’t do the OmniFocus reviews, ever. I found that 90% of what I looked at had no changes.

What I find useful is the daily review I schedule on my calendar to take 15 minutes (sometimes more) to review all the due-outs that I’ve collected in meetings over that day, or requests from clients in email or texts, etc. — in other words, the pile of stuff that arrived that day. I sort out the next day, put time on the calendar for coming days to write documents or do other client requests, and eliminate or combine tasks. So it’s a daily planning & cleanup session that is very helpful.

Doesn’t prevent clients from shifting everything around and change priorities first thing next day – but, you know: Clients. We love 'em :laughing:

For projects with little change, I set the review to one week or more. For checklists and projects that frequently change or need constant monitoring, I set the review cycle for every one to five days.

I sometimes use my review as a tickler or nudge.

Me: Hey, I haven’t moved on this project in a while. Maybe it’s time to get something going on it!

I originally asked this question to see if there was something else about review that I might be missing.

I do a slightly more comprehensive end of week review and then a more intense end of month review, I was wondering if there was a gap I overlooked.

1 Like

OF weekly review , is simply another perspective in a custom wrapper but it’s just so damn convenient. It’s a major pain to start using yet another tag structure for week/month inside 2do(which I use) .

Currently I use a simple a list given to use during GTD training , it contains a lot of trigger which I’ve now modified to my environment . Sample include

COMMITMENTS/PROMISES TO OTHERS
boss, partners, advisors, coaches, strategic partners, colleagues, subordinates, others in organization, other professionals, customers, other organisations

1. I’m also part of family-run business , I add , brothers ,father , sister-in-law to the above list .

2. I’m also part of an alternative board , I add Coaches , Board members to above list and so on.

This helps in the monthly comprehensive review but also running through the list on weekly basis helps clearing somethings I thought I might do for someone and forgot to capture them.

Hope I haven’t confused you further.

2 Likes

oh, that’s right! i forgot about the GTD Trigger list.

For those who haven’t seen it, here is a PDF file:

My preference would be to print this out and then pencil in how frequently you need to check these things. Here’s a small sample of what I’m thinking of:

• Projects (started, not completed) - once every 3 - 7 days
  • Projects (that need to be started) - once a month. Look at all On Hold projects and see which projects I want to start on next month.
  • Birthday list - once a month
  • Commitments/promises to others - once a day or every other day. These change daily in my world.
  • Clothes - once every 6 months

…and the list goes on and on. Determine the frequency or mark down on a calendar when to review these different triggers.