Hi! New to the ERW community

Greetings all! I am new to the forums and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Michael and I work as a Talent Development Business Partner for a national distributor of wine and spirits. In my role, I am responsible for developing and delivering training and coaching materials to our frontline sales consultants and managers. I have been fully remote since January and am just starting to feel like I’m getting into the groove with my new WFH reality.

I’ve had to modify my workflow since going remote and have spent a lot of time experimenting with various methods, apps, and setups. My current baseline includes Things 3 as my task manager, and a combination of native Apple apps for personal reference and productivity, and Office 365 for work. I am required to operate from a Windows PC for work, but am Mac-oriented in my home life. My iPad Air 4 is the link that binds my two worlds together.

Like some of you, my productivity challenges center around keeping things as simple as they need to be but no simpler, and too frequently tinkering with my system rather than working it. While I have managed to maintain some equilibrium between my Mac@home and Windows@work lives, I still struggle with the question of whether to integrate or separate my work/life systems.

In any case, below are some screen shots of the Things 3 setup that has worked for me for some time. Systems are personal but I always find inspiration from seeing others’ implementations so I figured I’d pay it forward by sharing my own. Here, I’ve broken my life down into 8 essential Areas that do a fine job of housing all my Projects and Next Actions. I use Projects for only the Big Rocks and go heavy on subtasks for most smaller multi-action tasks. I have 10 tags that are fairly true to the core GTD contexts with the addition of @Focus for filtering tasks during “Focus Time” blocks on my calendar, and @Purchases for weighing various money-draining tasks against one another.

The first shot is of my Areas list with a typical Today view. The second is what a typical Project load looks like, give or take. And finally my list of tags.

I welcome any questions or feedback and appreciate the opportunity to say hello! Looking forward to participating in the conversations!

1 Like

Welcome @MichaelB! Glad to have you here :slight_smile:

It’s really hard to keep things simple. In some ways I’ve been letting go of traditional productivity because it almost always slows me down and adds stress/friction to my life. Some of that is okay and good, but with the kind of work I do, it’s not always helpful.

Looks like you have a simple, easy-to-understand structure there! That’s great. Are you running into any particular issues with this setup at all?

Have a look around! There’s quite a backlog of conversations - feel free to jump in, add thoughts, and resurrect any old topics you like :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome note @justindirose! Glad to be here.

My setup actually does a pretty good job of reminding me where to direct my attention and energy from day to day. I suppose a challenge I run into is system bloat — that is, filling it up with too many “soft” tasks that end up diluting and distracting me from the essential ones.

Looking forward to diving into more of the running conversations here! Thanks again for the feedback, the community and the great Podcast!

1 Like

You’re welcome! I will note I’ve put some of the content production on hold here as I rebalance and figure out my own life, but I hope you find the back catalogue helpful!