Hi everyone

Hi everyone

Tell us who you are and what you do.

Hi, I live in England and work for a charity - my job involves a lot of research, writing and training.

How did you first get into the productivity world?

I used to be freelance and I started using Remember the Milk because someone told me about it - didn’t think to look for alternatives! I guess that was my first foray, kinda? I learned about GTD through a seminar at work.

How did you find the Guild?

By searching for articles / blogs about Things, after which I lurked for a bit. I have actually now switched to TickTick but it’s thanks to Things that I found this site.

What’s one thing you’ve learned that has impacted you most?

The idea of doing a weekly review - this has transformed my life!

2 Likes

I’d love to read about how you use TickTick! I remembered this app in passing but forgot to look at it. It’s great to see this as a cross-platorm app!

I’m a wannabe aspiring writer. What tools or workflows do you use? Perhaps you can write up a post about that. The last time I did any serious writing was back in the college days many eons ago! I currently have my nose deep into Stephen King’s On Writing and the Elements of Style right now. I enjoyed The Sweet Setup Ulysses video course and was able to peek into the workflows of a few writers. I’m curious to learn about yours.

Hope to hear more from you and everyone else on the Guild!

2 Likes

Thanks for the welcome!

I’m still figuring out my workflow and seeing what works - some things are nice ideas but then I don’t actually use them - but so far my set-up looks like this:

• I use lists for areas of focus (eg work, career, personal, reading, home etc) and for some larger ongoing projects. You can put lists in folders but I don’t use these much (except I have a folder with some template lists - the free version is restricted to nine lists just FYI)
  • I have tags for all my contexts plus waiting for, agendas etc
  • I am trying out different custom smart lists (this is a premium feature). For example I have ‘Work today’ for any @office or @wfh tasks due today, ‘Untagged’ to catch any tasks I forgot to tag, and various others - they’re like filters in Todoist. (Or maybe custom perspectives in Omni but I haven’t used that.) This feature was a big part of why I switched from Things.

I’m not sure I have a workflow as such! But let’s see. I’m an ex-journalist, and one app I discovered in my media days is Draftpad on my iPhone. I think it’s on iPad too. It’s a free plain-text editor with a word count (you can also toggle to a character count) that constantly auto-saves in the background. I’m actually using it to write this post. Here are some screenshots showing the text editor and version history.

I use my iPhone a lot, either on public transport or when working from home (I have a MacBook, but like to use a mix of that and my phone to work). Draftpad is great for writing in a distraction-free environment without any accidental formatting. I use Bear for notes and journaling, but some things start life in Draftpad as once I’m in Bear I start thinking about formatting. At work we have a specific content editing platform that we use.

I don’t like to write on paper. Paper is good for thinking and ideas, but it’s not how I actually write the words. I’m also a big believer in having an outline, a plan or a few notes before you start. I never just sit down in front of a blank page. Might be different if I wrote fiction but I don’t know? (I like the idea of writing fiction but in reality it’s not my thing.)

I’ve heard good things about On Writing. What sort of writing are you into?

2 Likes

I’m still trying to find my voice. But I am currently in the process of attempting to document office workflows into a company manual right now.

All I remembered was being a little kid and attempting to write a Dracula/vampire horror story in the 4th grade. Don’t remember what happened to that story.

But I think writing is a way to permanently record thoughts. It’s also a way of defining and refining one’s thoughts into a physical form. From the written word, it can transmute into videos (screencasts or scripts), podcasts, or any other form of communication. Creativity starts with one word.

For the moment, I’m trying to write those first five hundred utter crap and get that out of the way. It’s all about practice, isn’t it?

I always thought that most of writing was a stream of consciousness process. But longer pieces truly need structure. Otherwise I’m rambling on and on (as usual).

One form of writing I’m enjoying is the journaling habit. I clear my thoughts and convert them to words. I might find something in there.

I wonder how/if I can fit DraftPad into my workflow? I’ve been doing OK with Drafts, Ulysses, and iThoughts.

1 Like

I’m actually a huge fan of plain English writing. If you can write a forum post you can write! But yes, it is totally about practice and just doing it and keeping on doing it. Also reading others’ writing.

I wouldn’t change your workflow if you’re happy. There will always be more tools than one person needs!

2 Likes

Welcome @Teacake! Glad you found us here!

Holy smokes yes. The review process is the crux of any productivity system. Without it, any system becomes a junk drawer.

Well said! :clap:

1 Like