I am working on a system revamp to handle some changes coming down the pipe in my life. And I’m stuck.
I’m trying to figure out what should go where in my note taking stack, and how to handle making sure items are in the fewest places possible.
The one issue I’ve always had is what to do with handwritten vs. typed notes. Most apps are really good at dealing with one over the other (I.e. GoodNotes = awesome for handwritten notes as Apple Notes = great for typed). I’m trying to figure out what makes sense to put different places in light of this.
Here’s my mindmap of ideas on it:
What I’m currently looking at is —
- Discourse for long term reference, project notes
- Ulysses for writing, digital commonplace, some notes
- Drafts for capture & action, some static storage
- GoodNotes for anything handwritten
My plan is to semi-regularly export my GoodNotes notebooks to PDF just so they are accessible elsewhere. Though I don’t know where those should land yet.
However, I hate feeling like I have to choose between handwriting and typing, and I feel like I’m forced to because it’s not easy to keep handwritten and typed notes together.
So, what I’m asking is:
- Do you see any alternatives here (other than Evernote)?
- Are there any holes in this?