I hope everyone is doing well.
It’s hard not to write a very long post about this, as there’s a lot I’d love to share regarding not being able to choose (and stick with) a tool for a given function.
I struggle VERY deeply, and have for a long while, with settling on apps for both task management and taking/storing notes. It’s been a years-long battle, and I have bounced back and forth between SO many apps for each.
Like I said, I could go very deep into specifics about my own journey, but maybe the best way to kick this off is to give the latest example of my indecision.
I’ve played with DEVONthink in the past, and I very recently decided to pay for a Pro license for document storage. I already had (have) a Google Drive account with plenty of space for storing everything. But I ultimately convinced myself into buying DEVONthink, because:
- What if Google has some sort of major outage at some point that wipes out some/all of my data?
- What if privacy/security becomes a bigger concern with cloud-based solutions?
- What if my account becomes one of those stories where my account gets locked by Google for whatever reason and, poof, I can no longer access my decade+ of stored documentation?
- Other concerns around cloud storage in general, etc.
But now that I’ve made the DEVONthink purchase, I’m again unsettled. I say to myself:
- Well, GDrive is very widely used and in many cases is the standard; now I won’t be taking full advantage of something that is easily accessible, gives me plenty of storage space, and there’s nothing really WRONG with it.
- GDrive is something I often need for collaboration anyway, so am I just adding another unnecessary layer to my toolset? When it comes to my family and my clients, GDrive is something I have to use one way or another, so shouldn’t I just keep it all centralized there?
- Even if DEVONthink is the right choice for document storage, is it the right choice (for me) for note-taking, or will I have to break off that piece and add another separate app?
The “maybe grass is greener” perspective goes on and on in my head; I can’t seem to break out of this – I guess FOMO? – mindset. And with the release of new notes apps and todo managers, almost daily it seems, the pressure to choose the “right” one for my workflows just feels ever more crushing.
Does anyone else have a really hard time with this? If you’ve been able to find the right system(s) for you and stick with it, do you have any thoughts/suggestions?