Handling Flexibility

Handling Flexibility

Many remote companies are giving their employees a high level of flexibility regarding their schedule and location to work. It’s really a huge benefit to both employers and employees.

However, there are downsides to having such freedom, which we’re talking about in episode 25 of Process coming up on Friday. One way I manage the absolute freedom of working remote is trying to keep a semi-normal schedule from approximately 8am - 5pm.

How do you handle the freedom and flexibility of working remotely with your schedule? Your location? Where have you struggled?

The taste of freedom is so alluring. I can skip out and binge on Netflix or just go for a cup of coffee at the cafe with no intention of doing any real work. My struggles come with the guilt that sometimes accompanies it. I’m trying to keep a fairly normal schedule so I know which mode I should be in. I’ll have time blocks for administrative work, a block for deep work, another block for family time, etc.

My main method for flexibility is to install systems. If I can automate as much as possible, that frees up more time for me to spend with my family. I also look for ways to improve my current workflows. I recently re-arranged my invoice archiving/scanning workflow and it reduced a lot of friction for me. I’ll do anything to reduce friction whenever I can. The less time I can spend on menial tasks, the more time I have for the work that I truly love or the more time I can have with my family.

Does anybody have any other challenges you’re facing as a remote worker?