Fussy Coffee

Calling @joebuhlig and @bobbleheadjoe.

I’m a “fussy coffee” drinker like yourselves. I wanted to ask – what’s your routine and process for brewing your favorite cup? I’m simply curious and also interested in improving my own brewing craft.

1 Like

@justindirose I always do a pour-over, either a Chemex or a V60 depending on the coffee. For example, my favorite coffee is the Ethiopia Idido from Kickapoo, and I prefer that one via V60. Basically, I spend way too much time and attention brewing the perfect cup every day :slight_smile:

The number one thing I’d recommend if you’re looking to upgrade: get a good grinder. At the very east you want a ceramic birr grinder (definitely NOT a blade), but you get what you pay for. I upgraded from a Capresso to a Baratza Virtuoso about a year ago, and it made the coffee taste WAY better.

1 Like

Mike is way ahead of me in the coffee department, but this point:

This is dead on.

I run a french press. The exact press I use is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Columbia-Thermal-51-Ounce-Stainless-Steel/dp/B0000A8VUU/ref=sr_1_2?tag=joebuhlig-20

I typically grind my coffee in bulk once a week. The goal is to go somewhat coarse in my grind but not so coarse that it’s weak coffee. I’m after the oil extraction to get the sweetness out of the beans with zero bitterness.

The technical process is as follows:

1. Boil the water in a teapot.
  2. Put 6 Tbsp of ground coffee in the press.
  3. Once the water boils, turn off the burner and let it sit for about a minute so it’s not a rolling boil anymore.
  4. Pour the water into the press as fast and as steady as you can into one point along the wall of the press. I’m finicky with this part. The goal is to get a whirlpool of the grounds and water going so that it’s thoroughly mixed without needing to stir it.
  5. Set a timer for exactly four minutes.
  6. After four minutes, plunge the press and pour it into mugs/thermos right away. You want to get it away from the grounds so it stops brewing.
  7. Enjoy! :coffee:

I’m also less picky about the exact coffee I use but we’ve come to prefer the standard medium roast from Caribou. Don’t tell Mike!

@bobbleheadjoe @joebuhlig thanks for sharing, both of you. I have an OK burr grinder right now. I think I’m going to look into a better one eventually.

Pour over has been my coffee of choice lately, but I don’t have the fancy V60. I hear the flat bottom helps get a better brew. I have some cheap Melitta ones that do an OK job, but my results are inconsistent.

1 Like

I hear a lot of people rave about pour over coffee. I’ve never jumped into it but the hype has me curious. Someday, team. Someday.

@joebuhlig One day. Probably very soon.

1 Like