Forum & Chat: Why We Have Both

For those of you who frequent the forum, you might not know that we have a Discord chat server as well.

You might be wondering, “Why does ERW have both a chat and a forum? Won’t that make keeping community discussions together difficult?”

That’s a very valid question, I might say!

Long-Term vs. Short-Term Memory

Chat software like Discord are great for quick interactions and updates, but it’s not great for having any long term, accessible conversations.

I like to think of these communities as our memory.

Our chat is short-term memory. You can expect that anything in chat will be quite difficult to find sometime later, but it’s great for getting immediate help or just hanging out with folks.

The forum, then, is our long-term memory. Curious about a topic? Search the forum or start a new one! Want to process through an idea a bit deeper in nature? The forum!

Each has its unique strengths and weaknesses, and we hope to use both where they work best.

What Each is For

Discord – The Hang-Out Spot

Discord is our hang out spot on the internet. This is the place for watercooler-style conversations with other people who like discussing productivity, remote work, and note taking.

We also have a feed of all our resources (podcasts, videos, forum categories) that streams into Discord. If you want to keep up with everything that’s going on here, Discord is the place to do it.

If you want to have a longer conversation, you are asked to start a topic in the forum versus the Discord chat because it’ll help more people long term.

Forum – The Place for Deeper Thought

The forum is a place to have deeper conversations. Need help? Want to discuss anything #productivity, #taking-notes, or #remote-work related? Share a resource? Post it here.

The more items we share here means a greater store of knowledge we’ve built up which can help others in these areas. Plus, it’s easier to search and find from search engines.

I hope this clears up why we have both a forum and a chat app as part of our community.

The way this is designed is you should be able to join only one and not miss out on the other.

2 Likes