Feeling Loney Working Remotely

Feeling Loney Working Remotely

I just wanted to put this out there in case anyone is dealing with this.

Working remotely can be downright lonely. No matter how many video calls, chats, or email threads/forum topics you participate in, something doesn’t quite feel right. It’s not hitting the deeper need, and you feel it.

I just wanted to say you’re not alone. Even when the loneliness hits, or depression seeps in, you’re not alone. Others are going through the same struggle. Heck, I know people who deal with the same thing that don’t work a remote-only job.

If you’re reading this, you probably recognize this is what you’re feeling. Good.

That’s the first step to to getting through it. You don’t have to just hang on. You can thrive in this season. But it’s going to take some work.

I don’t have all the answers, but I have some ideas.

Call a friend. Make time to go see them.
Pick a hobby. Join or start a regular group to be with people who like the same things.
Work on something creative. Share it with the world.
Disconnect. Go be by yourself with your thoughts for a while.

Honestly, I think a big part of why we can feel so lonely is being connected all the time without really connecting. We have such passive, consumer-type relationships with our technology, and that’s transferred to how we relate to people through technology.

You are wired for community. And that means real people, real conversations, with real vulnerability and authenticity. That’s hard, but it’s worth it.

So today, if you’re reading this, I encourage you to find your people to connect with. While places like the Guild are great to connect online, find your people in the real world. Start the regular, long-term habit of building great relationships in new ways. Invest in people. That’s the ultimate cure for loneliness.

4 Likes

Thanks for posting this, Justin.

I’ve also experienced loneliness at times over the past 15 years that I’ve been working for myself. As you noted, video chats, forums, etc. don’t address a deeper need for human connection.

The antidote for me has been to work out of a co-working space a couple of days a week. A found a wonderful place in Vancouver called the HiVE. I’ve been working there since 2012 and it’s come to feel like a second home. I’ve met some wonderful people over the years and find that being in this environment helps balance out my more solitary home office space.

1 Like

Coworking seems like a good solution. I did that at the local space for a while, but the crew there was always pretty heads-down and not super talkative, which was a bummer! Wasn’t much better than working at home. But I’d imagine if you have a more socially-cultured coworking space, it could alleviate the burdens some, for sure.

I checked out a few different co-working spaces before deciding on the HiVE. Fortunately, we have plenty to pick from here in Vancouver. There’s a lot of hard-working people…but also a strong social component to balance it out (e.g. taco Tuesday, lunch and learns, parties centred around the holidays, charity fundraisers).

1 Like