Discipline, not motivation, will get you to your goals

I’ve always been curious about how some folks are so laid back and get things done and how some go-getters just seem to get things done.

I’ve seen “eat the frog” as one way to get motivated to start on a project or task.

According to this Navy SEAL, it’s not motivation that help you achieve goals…

For now, I think scheduling my projects and tasks in my calendar has helped me to create discipline and thus form habits that will last.

What do you think?

1 Like

This is something I’ve been actively working on in the past week. I’ve noticed that my discipline to crank through tasks has been waining early afternoon and I’m much more prone to procrastinate at that time. So I’ve been watching the clock and paying attention to when this feeling crops up. When it does, I tell myself to keep going just a bit longer. I may still cave but the timing of this wall has been moving later in the day. :+1:

I think the early afternoon is the best time for a power nap if you feel your energy waining. I tend to feel a crash at about 1 pm. I’ll pick up my energy levels at about 2 pm or 2:30 pm. Then that should keep me going until the end of the day.

I think there were some blog posts about just working with your energy levels. Since we’re all different, our biorhythms might tell us when it’s to take a power nap and when it’s time to pick up the pace.

I’m still fighting through this myself… :pensive:

There’s a book on personal energy cycles that I’ve been meaning to check out. The Power of When: Discover Your Chronotype—and the Best Time to Eat Lunch, Ask for a Raise, Have Sex, Write a Novel, Take Your Meds, and More by Dr.Michael Breus. Heard about it on The Running Lifestyle Show Podcast. Can’t vouch for its scientific bona fides though.

2 Likes

I’m currently reading Willpower: Rediscovering Our Greatest Strength, by Roy F. Baumeister, John Tierney, and the studies there show that your willpower is replenished after eating. Wonder why early afternoon is the struggle then, being after lunch…

2 Likes