Defeat the Chaos Machine

If you’re like me, maybe you’ve been a little overwhelmed with everything going on in the world as of late. There’s so much going on, and with that comes an insane amount of information being passed back and forth.

It wouldn’t be so bad if you could trust the information, either, but you can’t! It’s nearly impossible to know fact from misapplied fact, inflated truth from blatant lie.

In a sense, the world feels a bit like a chaos machine right now — as life continues on in this pandemic season, it’s only feeling more and more chaotic.

There are two main ways I’ve seen the chaos machine hurt people:

1. Constant exposure to negative information — this leads people to further fearful, doubtful, anxious, depressed, and hopeless thoughts and feelings.
  2. Causing the feeling you have to find control of it all — more information feels like more control, but it rarely ever ends up being the case, especially in a pandemic.

If you’ve found yourself in either of these modes, I have a couple of thoughts that might help you.

First, figure out what you can control. You can’t control what others do (i.e. wearing a mask), but you can control what you’ll do (i.e. not going to the store). Nor can you control how a leader is handling something, but you can control how you’re going to respond. If you’re stressed by the external stuff going on, focusing primarily on what you can control will help.

Second, shut the news off. While the trends can be alarming, it doesn’t need to fill your entire mental space by the constant consumption of news. I personally have to be extremely diligent about this because I can find myself pretty afraid of what the news is portraying if I let my guard down.

The world hasn’t ever been an easy place to navigate, and especially so with the current issues we’re all facing. But don’t forget — we’ll get through this! Try to find the good, keep going, and we’ll make it.

Releases

[Remotely Working] Matias Hernandez’s Remote Work Origin Story — This week we’re joined by Matias Hernandez, a software engineer based in Chile. We have a great conversation about routines, not putting too much pressure on yourself, and working remotely from a small town.

[YouTube] How I Write Literature Notes — Taking notes on books, podcasts, and articles is an important way to process through information and ultimately translate it into knowledge. How would you start taking literature notes? We provide a simple method for writing literature notes in this video using Obsidian.

Resources

Understanding — Key Takeaway: Embrace not understanding. Ask good questions. Seek deeper clarity. Don’t settle for unsatisfactory understanding.

That’s all for this week!

For archives, visit our community.

1 Like